Tuesday, September 21, 2010
Today's recipe is: Country Breakfast Casserole.
I found this recipe at one of those little displays in the grocery store by the spices. It looked pretty tasty and being the collector of recipes that I am, I quickly grabbed it and put it in my purse. Anywho, before I give you the recipe I would like to briefly go over my experience while making this casserole.
1. The recipe calls for 6 slices of bread, I only used 2 and a half or 3.
2. It says to bake for 40 minutes, I did that and the middle was still uncooked, I had to add an additional 12 minutes, then for the most part all but the very middle was done. By that time my husband was whining that he was dying of hunger :P So I served up the finished parts and put the middle portion back in the oven for 5 more minutes.
3. The picture on the recipe card is not what mine came out looking like. I realize that it's rare for that to happen, but for some reason their cheese acted as a barrier to the egg and kept it all nicely layered. My egg took over and went past the cheese and into sausage territory. Not really a problem, I was just hoping it would look all neat and orderly like the picture.
4. My husband LOVED it from the first bite, he was making sounds of great satisfaction the whole time he was eating it. I thought it was okay, I wasn't really sure how I felt about the consistency of the eggs, but I think I would make this again.
Now on to the recipe and picture of my casserole.
1 roll (12-16 oz) sausage, regular or reduced fat
6 Bread slices
6 Eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1 package McCormick Sausage Country Gravy Mix
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons melted butter, optional
1. Crumble sausage into a large skillet; cook over medium heat until brown, stirring
occassionally. Remove sausage and drain on a paper towel. Spread sausage over bottom of a lightly greased 11 X 8 inch baking dish. Cut bread into 1-inch cubes. set aside
2. Whisk together eggs, water, milk and gravy mix. Sprinkle Cheese over sausage, then pour the egg mixture over cheese. Arrange bread cubes evenly over mixture. If desired, drizzle butter over bread. Sprinkle with Paprika
3. Bake at 325F, uncovered, 40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 servings