Sunday, January 2, 2011
Whipped Sweet Potato Bake
Ed had never tasted sweet potatoes before. I am not a big fan of them myself. But I wanted to try out this recipe for future reference and Ed is a good taste tester, since he isn't as picky as I am. This recipe looked fairly simple and had some nice reviews and tips on extra stuff to add in. For this first time making it, I followed the recipe exactly. Next time I will experiment with some of the suggestions. I will include a few of the reviewers tips at the end.
3 (15 ounce) cans sweet potatoes, drained
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted (I used real butter)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
24 medium sized marshmallows
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Beat sweet potatoes, butter, cinnamon, salt, and the nutmeg in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on med speed until well blended.
2. Spoon into lightly greased 1-1/2 qt. baking dish; top with marshmallows.
3. Bake 15-20 minutes or until sweet potato mixture is heated through and marshmallows are lightly browned.
Makes 10 servings.
Nutrition info: Per Server: Calories 211, Carbs 40g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Fat 4g, Protein 2g, Sugars 29g.
1. add some crushed pineapple to the potato mixture.
2. Add in raisins during blending step.
3. Sprinkle some chopped pecans over marshmallows before baking.
4. Add in 1 to 2 oz of southern comfort to the potato mixture.