Sunday, January 2, 2011

Whipped Sweet Potato Bake




Ed had never tasted sweet potatoes before. I am not a big fan of them myself. But I wanted to try out this recipe for future reference and Ed is a good taste tester, since he isn't as picky as I am. This recipe looked fairly simple and had some nice reviews and tips on extra stuff to add in. For this first time making it, I followed the recipe exactly. Next time I will experiment with some of the suggestions. I will include a few of the reviewers tips at the end.

Ingredients:


3 (15 ounce) cans sweet potatoes, drained
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted (I used real butter)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
24 medium sized marshmallows

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Beat sweet potatoes, butter, cinnamon, salt, and the nutmeg in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on med speed until well blended.

2. Spoon into lightly greased 1-1/2 qt. baking dish; top with marshmallows.

3. Bake 15-20 minutes or until sweet potato mixture is heated through and marshmallows are lightly browned.

Makes 10 servings.
Nutrition info: Per Server: Calories 211, Carbs 40g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Fat 4g, Protein 2g, Sugars 29g.


Tips:

1. add some crushed pineapple to the potato mixture.
2. Add in raisins during blending step.
3. Sprinkle some chopped pecans over marshmallows before baking.
4. Add in 1 to 2 oz of southern comfort to the potato mixture.

No comments: