Monday, September 3, 2018

No longer a first year teacher - Weeks 1 & 2

What a whirlwind the first two weeks have been.  I have a new partner teacher, who is awesome! We have six first grade teachers thankfully, which means we are in teaching hubs of two instead of three like last year. It is a lot easier to prepare and keep track of 33 students vs 64-66 last year. Also with a full first grade team it means our class sizes are smaller.

I am also a mentor teacher to one of the new teachers. He is pretty cool but don't tell him I said that. 😏

One of the things I realized this year was how much my class last year had learned and matured over the course of the school year.  I have to keep reminding myself that this new group of students is just beginning first grade and I need to start back at square one on everything. With that being said I am enjoying discovering all their personalities, motivators and how to interact with them in order to guide/teach them the most effective way I can.

There are some definite challenges this year that I didn't have last year. It has been a struggle to try and work through them, but I think that is part of what I love about teaching. Every class, every student, every day presents something new and I have to be on my game constantly to try figure out the best action plan. Sometimes your lesson plan goes perfectly, other times you have to change course on the fly and I love it.

My aunt swears I have ADHD because I cannot sit still and concentrate on just one thing. I like doing several things at once or I get bored. (ex. I will read, watch tv and listen to music all at the same time.) As a teacher I am moving around and multitasking the whole day. There is never a dull moment. (Sometimes I wish there was, especially this week when I am sick.)

Below are some pictures of what my classroom looks like this year. In case you couldn't tell I love Star Wars.

This was what my room looked like when I arrived in August to start getting it set up. 
Welcome to Mrs. Ogier's Jedi Academy!



My desk with Chewbacca as guard and small group table.
Library in far corner up ahead and center station on far right of picture.



Front view of my desk and back counter.

Jedi word wall and student lockers.



No comments: